Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Street Eater


Hey, gang.


This is a road bike for Shinya Tanaka, who has
been importing handmade bikes over the Pacific Puddle,
to Japan.


This bike is for himself.
He asked for a road bike and carbon fork with room for fatter tires.






Fastback, swoopy seat stays.


The paint is a combo of painstaking masking and big brush stokes.




I hear the road riding in Japan is pretty unreal.
Might have to get over there for some
market research at some point.




A little while ago, I was talking with some
friends about the state of music these days.
More specifically, if you could travel back
in time and kill one band, group, or individual
to nip some musical movement in the bud,
who would it be?
To avoid the catastrophe that has come to
be known as Emo (Screamo, Emo-core, whatever),
Hightower and Danny B both agreed that AFI must die.
I may or may not agree. Well, ok, I agree.
However, Akimbo might also fall into the category
of being a band that was copied right and left by
screaming teenagers.
Don't get me wrong, I like me some Akimbo, but
to avoid this, someone must pay the ultimate toll.

Who knows? Someone may have this power.
Maybe Buddy Holly, Ritchie Vallens, and the Big Bopper
were about to start a super group from
which rock and roll would never recover.

6 comments:

Onlyontwo said...

Todd,
Love that paint work. I really like the direction your going with some of the paint.

I'm with you guys on the whole "Emo" music style. One style that especially makes me feel old and bitter is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GOR5gvQwDI&ob=av2e

Bubble gum Pop-Emo crap...

Cheers,
Andy

Unknown said...

you had me at "Fastback, swoopy seat stays", definitely gives the bike some serious character.

I'm seriously pondering the sell off of my carbon frame and plod around on my steel beater for a year to get one of these gems

Anonymous said...

You have to remember that AFI was originally a hardcore band in the same category with minor threat and black flag, back when they were Asking For It, not A Fire Inside. but if you could go back and take care of them before the transition from one to the other occured, that would be ok.

blackcatbicycles said...

thanks, y'all.

andy, in ten years we might look back at it as this decade's clown vomit splatter paint. good thing it's just paint. the bikes still fit and ride great no matter what the paint looks like.

duan, no need to take a vow of poverty. deposits are only $500.

anon, i agree. they used to be quite different. kinda like rod stewart, eric clapton, etc, who ruled their day but eventually went down the rabbit hole of mtv-unplugged-suck.
attack attack! is at the bottom (i hope) of this rabbit hole.
now if we could just figure out that time travel thing...

Johann Rissik said...

From the other side of the Atlantic Puddle I stare in awe. Good for the soul, those pics.

Lisette said...

I bet they are fun to ride, they are certainly fun to look at! Cheers!